Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Toys at Local Wal-Mart Grocery Store Continue to Confuse Shopper


I have got to start out by saying: Wal-Mart, get a clue. There, I said it and now I’ll explain it.

So I go to my local Wal-Mart grocery store this morning to pick up some orange juice and other some personal care products. I am not saying which personalized care products I needed, it doesn’t matter. I begin wandering the aisles but can’t find what I am looking for in the usual place. Then I remember, oh yeah, they have been doing a little bit of remodeling for the past year which has cause a little bit of a shuffling around for a few of the products here and there. No big deal. Wrong.

That’s because they shuffle around a lot. I’m sorry, they shuffle around so much that they should pass out maps for easier product location when you walk in the door. But they would have to update the maps, say daily, because someone in that store can’t make up their mind where things should go. Maybe they have a new manager every month with a different marketing style, I don’t know. But I have to say that whoever is remodeling my local Wal-Mart grocery store is no marketing genius. This is not store poll; this is just my unbiased opinion.

Now I am shopping in the area where I used to buy the thing that I am looking for and it’s not there. So I start walking up and down the aisle, and then I walk up and down the adjacent aisle. Nothing. I look on the walls where they have tweezers and nail polish. Hey that’s new…still scanning…nothing. At least nothing I was looking for. I don’t know why but I did this same routine like ten times.

That’s when I stopped to take the picture. Because it just hit me. I was dumbfounded. It just seemed so odd and out of place. The tweezers and other similar beauty products just halt; look at the picture, they just abruptly end along the wall and all of a sudden toys began. At a grocery store? This just seems kind of crazy to me. Where are the rest of the beauty care products? Where in the heck is what I am looking for? They used to have an aisle for these stupid toys. I didn’t get it, I still don’t get it.

This is where my wee little brain just tries to make sense of it all. If I stare at the wall long enough then it just might make sense. It makes me feel better if everything makes sense. Okay, so here goes. I’m getting inside the brain of the marketing genius. I think that he is thinking this: while the mom is picking up a nail file, the kids are picking up a Mr. Potato Head. There, that’s got to be it. The marketing guy just wants to sell more toys…at a grocery store. Got it. Hey kids, see Toy Story 3 and buy your Mr. Potato Head at the Wal-Mart grocery! Doesn’t make very much sense to me but can you spot him in the picture? Mr. Potato Head. He’s right there in the picture next to the purple blob looks like a pile of baby dolls. He’s so cute. Makes sense now, sort of, so I continue shopping. Whew.

Okay, so I finally found what I was looking for, but I almost gave up and went to Walgreens instead because there was no way I was asking anyone in that store for the thing that I had come there to get. Still not saying what it is. And thanks marketing genius, you have now scattered personal care products in the aisles and along the walls in three different locations all down on the left side of my local Wal-Mart grocery store; that’s on the south side of the store if you are direction savvy.

No comments:

Post a Comment