Thursday, June 10, 2010

Starting A Blog: My Second Post In The New Adventure Land Known As Blogging

I want to blog about starting a blog but the whole thing turned out to be so exasperating. I guess because it took all day. It probably shouldn’t have but then I usually take something easy and make it really hard for no good reason.

It wasn’t exactly the writing part that was so hard; that I love. I’ve got lots to say and no one to say it to. That’s where you come in. You are reading my lovely run on sentences and now you are probably exasperated that you are still reading. Join the exasperation club but keep reading; it might get better.

And it really wasn’t the part when you pick the site and set it up for the first time; that was just time consuming, again because I made it hard. What do I name it? What do I call it? When all along I had the name picked out a month ago and no one will really care any way, except me.

It was the part when I went to post my very first post, a love letter to my addiction. That’s when I found out that the paste feature does not work in blogger when copying a document from Microsoft Word. No kidding. I had just typed over 900 words, just a warning in case you haven’t read it, and no way to paste these newly formed words into place.

I was going to call my son to whine and complain that the site he told me to sign up with sucked, sorry Blogger.com but I was getting a little frustrated. Then I realized that it was late, not for the party-goer types but for army guys half way across the country in a different time zone ahead of mine that get up before the sun, the farmers, and the roosters.

So since I am a never-take-no-for-an answer type of girl, I researched the internet and did whatever other bloggers were saying would work on the blogger help site but it didn’t help. There didn’t seem to be any way around this copy-paste issue. I think that their suggestions were good but not for everyone, especially me, so I kept searching and trying. Meanwhile all I could think was that I was going to chicken out of this whole blogging thing if I couldn’t post my piece soon.

Anyway, I finally came across this suggestion that I didn’t think really applied to my situation at first so I passed over it. Actually I passed over it a couple of times, you would too if you didn’t know what IE 8 meant, but then I thought about it and examined the passage more closely. Here’s what it said:

I was just playing around with this very issue and in another thread somebody mentioned that it happened when they got IE, That got me thinking IE 8 which could have been the problem my customer was having because we had upgraded. So I tried to run blogger.com in compatibility mode and it worked as before. There are a couple of ways to get this to happen but one is to go to the Tools Menu then click on Compatibility View Settings and add blogger.com to the list. Hopefully it works for you.

It’s like I had just been hit in the head with a birthday gift. IE 8 is Internet Explorer 8; I have that! I sat there stunned because there was no way it was that easy. A couple clicks, a little typing and then I would be posting? No way after all that I had been through. I still sat there staring at this guy’s post contemplating my overwhelming cyberspace issue and whether to try something else first. Again, I’m thinking, it’s got to be harder than this.

As you can see it all turned out happily. Blogger and Microsoft Word are now compatible on my computer and my first post was uploaded five minutes after I fixed my IE 8 problem; I like saying that, IE 8. Maybe if I say it enough then I won’t forget the next time I see it. But for now I conclude my second post about starting a blog in the new adventure land known as blogging.

I would like to thank chesterqualls who ever you are because you care enough to fix people’s problems even though you don’t know who they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment