Saturday, June 12, 2010

Dreamy Outdoor Canopy at Lowe’s Leads to Fantasy Session for Shopper


Don’t you just love shopping at Lowe’s? My husband does. For him it’s like a giant Wal-Mart meets Ace Hardware store. Which makes me wonder if those two stores are actually connected, Wal-Mart and Lowe’s, I mean? Come to think of it, it does seem like every time I see a Lowe’s store there is a Wal-Mart nearby. Hmmmmm. It could be a coincidence. Note to self, check the internet sometime…maybe tomorrow.

Anyway, my husband and I are jetting through the Lowe’s store today and I spy this dark brown canopy and outdoor furniture set up; kind of hard to miss because it was parked right by the entrance door. I pass by it once on the way in but I stopped to give it a second but more thorough exam on the way out.

“Wow, I am liking this. It’s really cool. Not that we can afford it or anything, but this is really nice.” Under the canopy there is wicker type furniture, probably plastic, with comfy cushions and a giant sized grill…my mind immediately goes into dreamland where I see the whole thing set up at my house. Okay scratch that, it’s no good at my house so I make up an imaginary house with a backyard that it would look good in; the kind that backs up to a pond with ducks floating by. I know just the neighborhood.

Next, I pop in an instant family, the kind that likes chillin’ and grillin’ and havin’ fun. I use my own family for this part of the dream sequence because that would just be weird if I fantasized about someone else’s family. I have requirements though, in my dream they are not allowed to talk AND they must get along with each other. Yep, that’s a fantasy.

So there I am standing under the dark brown canopy having my way with my dream when suddenly a thought pops into my head. “Oh no”, I’m thinking, “is it sturdy enough to handle Oklahoma weather?” Bloop, just like that, there goes my perfect fantasy family from my dream. Okay great, well who needs them anyway, I have a house that has a great backyard with a brand new dark brown canopy that might fall over any minute in eighty mile an hour straight lines winds, but it’s all good.

I decide to try to get my perfect little family back into my dream; maybe they can help me hold down the canopy in the all that wind, when another stupid question pops into my head. Now I thinking, “How in the world do you change the cloth roof on the top of this thing; what is that, canvas?” Poof, there goes the rest of it, the dream home, the perfect backyard, the canopy and all. Dang it, I’m back at Lowes.

Why do I have to be so logical all the time? It’s not really logic, you know. It’s really more like a case of ADD but I like to think that I am logical. It’s a dream wrecker. And I thought it would be the kids wrecking my dream. Oh that’s right, they couldn’t speak. Yeah, that part of the dream was kind of good.

So there I am snapped back into reality, still standing under the canopy, still looking up and still thinking, how DO you change that cloth? I’m starting to circle the thing now because I think I can figure it out when I decide to glance around to find my husband. I realize that he’s just standing there staring at me and had apparently been standing there staring at me the whole time I was having my little fantasy session under the canopy.

I ignore him and look back toward the outdoor display but hear a voice calling out, “let’s go, we got what we came for and it wasn’t what you’re lookin’ at”. Okay, he actually didn’t really say anything to me; he just stared at me some more. But I can read him pretty well and that’s what it looked like he was thinking.

Oh well, I guess I took a little too long with the daydreaming but we still had plenty of time to go and pay for the thing that we came to get. Now, I’m home sitting around reflecting back on canopy and the dream and how nice it will be to have that one day. Have what, you might ask? The chillin’ and grillin’ and all children get along, of course. Cookouts and Frisbee are a must but they can be had anywhere. Family is important but I did like that canopy...and the dream home.

Oh by the way, our quest for a new water filtration system for the kitchen sink was successful. We bought the osmosis type even though we don’t know much about it; should have researched it, but we didn’t. Here’s hoping. I’ll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment